The Julie Kovar Fund is currently housed at the Jewish Foundation of Greater New Haven www.newhavenjewishfoundation.org. It is a Donor-Advised fund whereby our family determines the beneficiaries of all grants. We welcome suggestions from Julie’s friends, family, and donors!
Our grants have included funds for the following:
- Field trips to the Maritime Aquarium for first-graders at Classical Studies Academy, Bridgeport,
- Cubbies for the “Kindergarten” class of the Horizons at Sacred Heart University program
- Frames and framing supplies for the students' artwork in the
Close Art Gallery at the Roosevelt Elementary School, Bridgeport, CT
- Contribution for a new playground at the Six-to-Six Magnet School in Bridgeport, CT
- School supplies for first graders at Classical Studies Academy, Bridgeport, CT
- Field trip to Stepping Stone Museum in Norwalk, CT, for Kindergarten classes at Classical Studies Academy
- Purchase of scientific calculators by the Sacred Heart University Math Club for the purpose of donating to Bassick High School students, Bridgeport, CT
- Clay art supplies and mask making kits for the art program at Bryant Elementary School, Bridgeport, CT http://bridgeport.ct.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=67712&
- Lexia Reading Program sessions for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade students in the Horizons Program at New Canaan Country School www.horizonskids.org
- Purchase of laminator for Bryant Elementary School art program for purpose of preserving art projects for students!
- Contributed to purchase of new classroom rugs for Classical Studies Academy.
- Awarded grant to Horizons Enrichment Program at Sacred Heart University for purchase of Kindergarten and 1st grade books, along with bookcases, to house beginning of classroom libraries!
- Awarded grant to purchase a Friendship Bench for Annex at Classical Studies Academy from www.tinygirlbigdream.org
- Awarded grant for two scholarships for the K.E.Y.S "Music for Life" program, a program that provides one-to-one instrument lessons taught by trained instructors to children whose families do not have the means to pay for music instuction. Our scholarships will be for two students from Bridgeport Discovery Magnet School to have weekly violin lessons for a full year!
- Through DonorsChoose.org, supported Ellen Rosoff's Class Project to bring a practioner from "The Tapping Practice" into first grade classrooms to help the students to become more mindful learners.
- Awarded grant to sponsor Loose Parts Area of new playground at the Early Childhood Learning Center in Alexandria, Virginia. The design of this playground will foster curiosity, imagination, fresh air and a natural setting to support the children's education!